Google

Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Out of Office" When You Are Out Permanently

"Out of Office" When You Are Out Permanently

 

"Out of office" messages usually cover temporary absences from work. But if you are leaving the company, whether it is for a better position, a break from work, or a stint of unemployment, let people know you are "out of office" permanently. Here are things to include in your final out of office message:

 

  • A statement that you have left the company.
  • One or more statements about who is handling your responsibilities now.
  • Optional: A statement of how people can contact you personally.
  • Optional: A brief statement about what you are doing now, as long as it is positive and could not be seen as harmful to your former employer. (Luring clients away would be harmful to your employer.) You might write:
    • "I am taking a year off to spend time with our new son, Damien."
    • "I will be traveling throughout South America."
    • "I am looking for a new position in IT management."
    • "I have accepted a new job in landscape architecture."

 

Here are three good examples:

 

As of August 1, I am no longer working at XYZ Company. If you have questions about leases, please call Jennifer Smith at xxx-xxx-xxxx or email her at jensmith@xxx.com. For questions about insurance, please contact Rene Gomez at renegomez@xxx.com.

 

To get in touch with me personally, use my home email: xxx@hotmail.com.

 

Best wishes,
First name Last name

 

With the sale of the company, my position has been eliminated effective July 25. All questions about property taxes are being handled by Randy Rose at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

 

I am looking for a position in another corporate real estate department. If you would like to contact me with leads or ideas, please use my cell phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx.

 

Best regards,
Name Name

 

I am traveling in Africa for an extended period and have therefore left the company. Nigel Reed is now handling the areas I covered. You may reach Mr. Reed at _____ [telephone] and ______ [email].

 

Theresa Cho 

 

I hope these samples help you as you pack up your office, lab, or workbench and move on to your next adventure.

 

No comments:

Google